The contest is now closed!
Thank you to
all the wonderful students who sent in
submissions! To see some of our students'
stories, click here and scroll to the bottom.
We are hosting a friendly story-writing/drawing contest for elementary school students!
We want to hear your COVID-19 story.
Tell a story about something that has happened to you during your time at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Write/draw about anything or everything COVID-related: we want to hear it!
By encouraging young students to draw out/write out their experience living during the COVID-19 pandemic, our goal is to provide a creative outlet for them to express their personal adjustment during periods of change.
We will also connect every elementary student with a high school pen pal. The pen pal will read and comment on the entrant's story and write back with their own experience. Promoting this connectedness, we hope to bring about a sense of unity and companionship.
1. Students write and/or illustrate (or both!) a story following the prompt:
Tell a story about something that happened to you during your time at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Psst, here's a tip! Topics may include but are not at all limited to: a newly-discovered hidden talent, a baking recipe, a piece of artwork, or some quality time with family.
2. Students submit a picture of their story, along with their name and grade, to our email:
by September 12, 2020
3. High school Book Bridge members will read through every story submitted, and each member will be paired with an elementary school pen pal. The high school pen pal will handwrite a note telling their own story.
4. Book Bridge members will decide on the top 3 story entries from both age groups:
grades k-2 and grades 3-5.
5. Prizes! We will host a no-contact goody bag pick-up where all parents and kids can drive by (wearing a mask) to pick up their prizes, which include books, school supplies, and their high school pen pal's written note.
Top 3 winners in each age group will receive their goody-bag along with a free backpack!
Details about this prize pick-up will be sent out in an email after students' stories have been submitted.
This friendly contest is meant to be fun and creative, so
We can't wait to read your written and/or drawn stories!
Photo taken at our Laps for Literacy 5K fundraiser in fall 2019